Monday, 19 September 2011

Bitten by the Travel Bug!

It is hard to describe the feeling that came over me as I stood on a rocky outcropping hundreds of meters above the bustling city below me on that windy day near the end of September last year. It was a mix of elation, awe, and a serene calm; and a feeling I can only describe as...weight.

I had just hiked up hundreds of roughly carved marble and granite blocks that formed a snaking staircase up to the massive plateau, stairs that in places were nothing more than large, smooth blocks; in other places carefully reconstructed. The ancient monuments that dominated the plateau were oddly juxtaposed next to modern steel handrails and fencing. Side by side stood a colorful tourist information board, and a millenia old sculptured wall.

Winded from the climb, me and my fiance could only stare at the historic surroundings. Ahead of us, surrounded by a throng of tourists snapping pictures, was the massive Parthenon. This collosal structure was one of the primary reasons we had flown half-way around the world, and seeing it towering before me brought up a rush of emotions; it was a sense of acomplishment that can only be felt when one completes a goal that has so long eluded them.

For most of my life, since I was young, I had always had a love for the ancient Mediterranean world. I read stories of Troy, of Marathon, of Hercules and his 12 great labors. I had leafed through pictures of the ancient world. In University, I had studied ancient Egypt, Greece, and the Rise of Rome. To be standing here, upon the Acropolis, was the culmination of a journey concieved so long ago. It was in this moment, on my first real international trip, that I knew I would have a life long love for travel. Even now, I dream of the day I will again walk the winding markets of the Plaka in Athens, or stroll along the beaches of Corfu. Greece is a beautiful land, with amazing history, people, art, and culture.

Experiences like this are the main reason I will always want to travel. Discovering the secrets of the past, visiting the ancient monuments of those great men and women that existed before us, and seeing the change and evolution of great nations and cities, is a thrill that can only be described as addictive. I will always want to see more, to do more, and to visit more places. Already my fiance and I are thinking of a trip to Hawaii next year, and in a few months we are heading to Las Vegas for a week of fun with some friends.

We wandered the ruins, and soaked in the atmosphere. We were quite fortunate that day, as the crowd was rather thin, and we were able to enjoy the area at our own pace, and take quite a few amazing photographs. The weather was beautiful, around 20 degrees celsius, with a light breeze that carried the salty scent of the Sea with it. My only regret is that we didn't have more time in this great city.

Overlooking that 360 panoramic of modern day Athens, one thought resonated within my mind, and has left me with a longing for more: I will be back.

So, for those of you following my Blog, I want to ask a question. Have you ever had an experience like I've described in your travels? Where was it, and when? Do you have a place you really want to visit, but haven't? Let me know.

I will be posting some pictures and video of my trip in the future, as well as some reviews of the hotels, restaurants, excursions and more. If you enjoy this kind of thing, let me know, and share with your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment