Well, I'm slowly catching up on my DC titles. Hopefully this coming Wednesday, September 28th, I'll have all the issues that I missed due to my local comic store selling out.
That said, I've gotten my hands on a few of the titles I'll be watching, and I have to say, I'm rather impressed by the relaunch so far. For the purposes of these reviews, I'll be talking about the following areas: Cover and Inside Art, Writing and Plot, and my overall impressions and thoughts. This week, I have 4 reviews for you. Next week will be busier however!
So, without further Adieu, lets hop into the comics, shall we? WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.
JUSTICE LEAGUE #1
Cover and Art: Jim Lee and Scott Williams knocked this one outta the park. A beautiful shot of the entire lineup. Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Cyborg. This one grabbed me immeadately, showing the whole team leaping into action. Likewise, inside delivers, especially in the depiction of Green Lantern. Beautiful colors! 9/10.
Writing and Plot: Geoff Johns does a good job here. While the book relies heavily on the art to tell the story at times, the dialogue is well done. I especially enjoyed the banter between Batman and Green Lantern (Hal is wickedly arrogant and confident in his abilities). I loved how incredulous GL comes across as when he discovers Batman has no special powers. Tracking down Superman, and Supes big reveal were great...I can't wait to see how the next issue handles the situation. One thing I'm not totally on board with for this lineup is Cyborg being on the team...he never struck me as JL material...I was hoping for Manhunter. In this issue, we see Cyborg in a pre-cyborg state. I think my acceptance of the character will really depend on how they handle his transition from man to machine. 8/10.
Overall, I give this issue 8.5 out of 10. It seems like more of an introduction to the team (well, half the team, as Aquaman, Flash, and Wonder Woman are nowhere to be found). This is fine, but I'm hoping the next few issues are more than just introductions, and we get a good villain right out of the gate.
Action Comics #1
Cover and Art: Rags Morales chose a classic high speed action shot of the Man of Steel, evoking a golden age feel for me...a 'what's that in the sky?' shot. The rest of the art is good, however I found supermans jeans and boots distracting, much prefering his Justice League look. I'm hoping he makes the transition shortly. Overall, I like the modern look with a golden age feel to the city. 8/10.
Writing and Plot: Grant Morrison shines in this book. He's done Superman before, and he knows the character well. All the staples are here, with Lois and Jimmy and Lex written perfectly. The story assumes that Clark has just lept onto the scene, and is new in his career. No super powered threats in this one. For me, it was classic Superman, however it may be a bit TOO familiar. I was happy with the book, but eager for Morrison to take the story in some new directions. 7/10.
Overall, this one gets a 7.5 out of 10 for me. It was good, but nothing groundbreaking. Time will tell if this one lives up to its legacy or not. Overall a sold, if familiar, effort.
Tune in shortly for my reviews for Detective Comics #1, and Suicide Squad #1.
Let me know what you think of these issues and my reviews. Did they live up to your expectations? Oh, and like this, follow me on twitter as well! Share with your friends! Ok, i'm done now.
No comments:
Post a Comment