Sunday, 18 September 2011

DC Relaunch, Titles I'll be reading and reviewing.

The New 52 are upon us this month, from DC Comics. The relaunch marks the beginning of a brand new, coherent universe for DC, and has many readers excited. I have a healthy optimism for the relaunch, as many titles are getting  a needed revamp.

This isn't the first time DC has done a massive continuity cleanup (See Crisis on Infinite Earths, or Identity Crisis for a couple examples), but it does mark the first time the publisher has reset every title back to Number 1. This means it is an excellent time for new readers to come aboard, or for long time fans to get back into their characters. 

For myself, I had not read or collected comics for about 12 years (a few graphic novels excepted), and even then I was always a Marvel Fan (Spiderman, Xmen and related books). But, I had always loved some of the DC characters, had watched DC's movies, and tv shows. When I heard about the relaunch, I thought (like many) that it was the perfect time to get back into it. Of course,  I had to pick and choose which titles to follow. I decided on my top 10, which I have listed below. I will be reviewing each of these titles as I get them.

My initial reviews will be a bit late, as my comic shop had to backorder my issues (curse my not preparing in advance!!) but, I should have most of them by the end of the month, and then on release going forward. Without further adieu, I present you my 10 picks for titles to read (not in any particular order).

1. Justice League. Of course, the best of the best of the DCU, and this title will be the focal point, and keystone for many. Can't pass up the opportunity to see all my favorite DC characters in one place!

2/3. Action Comics, and Superman.  I have high hopes for these, as Superman has always been a great character. Being the resident power house of the DCU, Supes can be a hard character to challenge and write compelling stories for. I'm hoping they power him down in this incarnation, and create a deep and engaging storyline, without becoming 'darker'. I like my Supes as a beacon of light, not an edgy dark character, so we'll see how it goes.

4/5. Detective Comics, and Batman. Speaking of Dark and Edgy, Batman is of course on the list. I'm not picking up the tertiary books for the Batverse. I'm hoping Detective Comics focuses on convoluted mysteries and storylines (y'know, make Bats earn the "greatest detective" title), and Batman has more action.

6. The Flash. Since Flashpoint caused this whole relaunch/reboot, I'm really interested in seeing how the worlds fastest man fits in now. Will he remember what he has done? Is Zoom really toast?  As long as he doesn't fight The Turtle, I think this will be good. I've always liked Flashes Rogues Gallery, so hopefully this will showcase it. Please stay away from the Time Travel tho, that just gets confusing.

7. Aquaman. Yeah yeah, a man who talks to fish right? But, with the politics of Atlantis coming into play, theres a lot of potential here. Aquaman has evolved as a character, and I really think this one is going to be a hit.

8. Green Lantern: New Guardians. I had to choose a GL book, and I decided to go with Kyle Rayner. I've always liked him as a character, and the concept of having one of each coloured Ring on one team seems interesting. Besides, I'm sure I'll be able to read GL and GL: Corps.

9. The Savage Hawkman. No JSA book? Strange, but Hawkman seems like a good bet for a standin. I'm hoping we see more of the JSA through this book, if not the team, then at least the characters. I really hope we see Hawkgirl as well (I mean, how can we not?). I don't know a huge amount about this character, and i'm hoping he lives up to his "savage" name.

10. Suicide Squad.  Harley? Deadshot? King Shark? Sign me UP!!! This one looks like a good one, starring villains trying to earn their freedom by taking on suicide missions for the Government. They promise that no character is safe from death, and a revolving cast. You never know which rogue will show up next, and that has me pumped.

Notable mentions: I'm not collecting these, but keeping my eye on them: Green Arrow, JLA: Dark, Deathstroke, and Teen Titans. If they look promising, I may add them to my list.

First reviews and impressions will be posted in the future, as I read and digest them!.

So, are any of you excited for the DCU relaunch? What books are you getting? Any characters you wish had books but didn't? Lemme know!

4 comments:

  1. Honey we are going to Vegas, no comic books for you:P Just kidding, you lucky I loves you so much. I have to say though I'm a little sad you are not getting Green Arrow. Even though the only reason I know that character is from smallville, but I'm kinda curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to throw in huge reccomendations for Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Batwoman (if only for the AMAZING artwork), Superboy (art is.. eh.. but the writing so far is feeling really great), and Deathstroke. As far as JSA goes, they did announce recently that they'll be launching a JSA series sometime in November I believe.

    To Ama: Green Arrow #1 was really disappointing. He's one of my favorite DCU characters but the rebooted version is just not very fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See with all the New 52 that are coming out I'm really not gonna nick pick to much on the FIRST issuse. What are people expecting them all to be simply amazing right off the bat? I'm giving them a few issues at least to start there stories....either way I'm very excited for all the ones I'm collecting :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys.

    To Ama: Green Arrow just doesn't look all that great so far. I know your ears perked up at the Birds of Prey too. Maybe I'll get you reading come comics too, heh.

    To Brad B: I keep hearing about Animal Man, and its currently leading reader polls on favourite new book. I might have to check it out.

    To Vince Merdock: Yeah, you gotta let them get rolling, get into the characters, and get some plotlines weaving. Every new series has some growing pains.

    ReplyDelete